The new CCEeXAM is now open for registration on the NBE website at echoboards.org. The NBME has recently released the handbook for CCEeXAM Certification which can be found here.
Here are some important dates for you to know:
- Early Registration Dates: July 11th – September 12th, 2019
- Price $995.00
- Late Registration Dates: September 13th, 2019 through noon (EST) November 8th, 2019
- Price $1,195.00
DATE :Tuesday, January 14, 2020
The exam will consist of 200 questions to be administered in a computer-based examination center. The question format will consist of multiple-choice questions with both still images and video images.
The Content of the CCEeXAM will consist of :
- Functional Anatomy: left ventricle, right ventricle, atria, valvular disease, pericardium, great vessels, devices and foreign bodies, intracardiac masses, and adult congenital cases.
- Clinical Diagnosis and Management: Shock, volume assessement, acute cardiovascular presentations, trauma, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest.
- Technical Skills and Equipment Optimization: Physics, artifacts and image acquisition.
- Integrated Ultrasound Imaging Skills: lung and pleural imaging, vascular imaging for DVT and abdominal imaging for free fluid.
I have not taken this particular exam, but if the examination is like any of the other echo board exams, it will use the physics and artifacts as a distinguishing feature. Many clinicians tend to focus on the echo images themselves and are well prepared for that portion of the exam but can be under prepared for the physics of ultrasound.
Good luck to all!